Friday, December 08, 2006

Exam season is upon us

My last day of classes was yesterday. I sort of have mixed feelings about it. Part of me is a bit burned out and looking foward to the next few weeks, but I have some classes I really enjoyed that I'm going to miss. I'm going to post a couple poems I wrote for my Creative Writing class. I'm taking another Creative Writing class next semester so maybe they'll be more of this if I write anything good. I didn't think I was a poetry writing person but I actually enjoyed writing them.

Words are all I have
I tinker with words
like a child with toys
changing one for another
losing sight of what was there to start.
Threading ideas together
like an old woman knitting a sweater.
If you find the right place to pull
will it all unravel?
Still, words are all I have
so I keep playing the game

Gossip Brew
Her gnarled hands grasp the delicate china;
I fear she will drop the cups.
All offers of help denied,
she always insists on tea.

When I was young
I fancifully believed tea to be
a mystical potion Grandma drank
for strength

Grandma hungers for conversation,
the details of a story
she stores up like crumbs
from tea-cakes
to savor later
when the tea has grown cold

“Tell me more,” she says.
I tell her the unimportant facts of me
that mean nothing and everything.
Looking down at the tea I had forgotten to sip,
I realize it’s not the warmth of the brew
from which she draws her strength

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry i haven't checked in here in a while! i hope exams are going well. and i read your post about toronto and that was definitely one of my favourite weekends out of the semester as well. :) i can't wait to see you again! i got you something really fun for christmas too. yay!

Anonymous said...

the word "gnarled" always gave me a strange icky feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Otherwise... i dig your poems. Keep writing cutie ;)