Wednesday, August 29, 2007

My New Job

For the past two days I've been doing training at the St Lawrence Library. My job as Library Building Supervisor is quite entailed. I'm basically working a little bit in every department in the library. I'm definately going to be learning a lot which is good. I also think it's going to be a job which keeps me busy which is also good. The design of the library really reminds me of a space station or something. The archutecture is from the 60's and it's very minimalist, and deconstructified (that's not really a word). The outside of it looks like a concrete slab with a couple satelite looking things slapped on the side. The inside includes exposed concrete walls and giant pipes going across the ceiling and along the wall. One of the rooms is even called the "yellow pipe room" because it has a giant yellow pipe going through it. Another room is called "the tree room" because it has several live trees growing in the middle of it. One nice thing about the design is it is very well lit. Lots of windows and skylights, but really tacky couches. Anyway, I think I'm going to enjoy working here. I have my own ID card and everything now which allows me free membership to the gym and a 15% discount at the bookstore! Oh the perks of working at a university. I also have health insurance now, which is probably a good thing. Thanks for listening and good luck in all your jobs!

No comments: